It is in this module that the student learns the principles of industrial control systems including open- and closed-loop control. Proportional, Integral, and Derivative control are covered with an emphasis on practical application and design. An introduction to algorithms, flow charts and fuzzy logic is also presented in this course.
- Define the terms process, process variable and controlled variable.
- Name four applications for control systems.
- Explain the advantage of using block diagrams.
- Describe the relationship between the set point, error signal and measured value.
- Differentiate between open-loop control and closed-loop control.
- List the five basic components in a closed-loop control system.
- Name the four variables that are generally used to evaluate the performance of a closed-loop control system.
- Define dead time.
- Explain the basic operating principles of on off, proportional, integral, derivative and PID control.
- Describe the purpose of feedforward control in process systems.